Heroes IV Extracted sounds

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Moderator: Moderators

MAN_ticore
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes IV Extracted sounds

Postby MAN_ticore » Oct 16 2017, 15:10

Hello.
Recently I tried to get sound effects from homm 4. It doesn`t seems to be much of a problem, I used mh4 and ResEdit for that, both work just fine, and unpack all of them, but the thing is - I cannot play these sounds. The music files(main menu, city themes etc.) is working, but all of the other - creature sounds, magic effects and all of that seems like corrupted files. I cannot play them in any player(windows media, MPCH, quick time player etc.), I tryied to use a few converters - all I get is error either "empty" sound, also cannot open them in Sone vegas.
So, the questions is - is there a way to make them work? Maybe I`m using wrong programm to extract them? Or maybe I`m the only one who has this problem?
As an example to get these sound files, you can download them from this topic - seems that sounds was working correctly for those users https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/7/14707

And sorry for bad english.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Re: Heroes IV Extracted sounds

Postby Karmakeld » Oct 16 2017, 21:42

That sounds odd. I just tried extracting the file sound.Voice_Over.Chaos A.h4d with mh4. It extracted it as mp3 and the file could play just fine in Windows Media Player. I tried it with one of the Creature sounds (vampire.die) and though it extracts it as mp3 as well, I can't play that one in Media Player. However I can open the file in Audacity. The file is 0,7 seconds long but it seems the lower (right?) track is just static noise (well trying to play/mute either side of the track, doesn't make a difference). Image But with other files, it doesn't recognize them. I'm pretty sure I had extracted some Ghost sound some time ago, but don't recall which program I used. H4Unpacker also failed for me.
Audacity suggested trying downloading some Mffpeg plugin.
Perhaps you can find this old post useful..? https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/7/4909?p=109463#p109463
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

MAN_ticore
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Postby MAN_ticore » Oct 18 2017, 18:45

Alright, so I find the solution (kind of)
Wierd thing - when you use ResEdit to extract sounds one by one, it automaticly convert each of them as *.wav files, but when you try to extract the whole folder "sound" each of sound files come out with *.mp3 extension and most of them will give error when you`ll try to play them.
*.wav files are not perfect tho, they have wierd speed and pitch shift, and overall it`s kind of a pain in the bum to extract them one by one from each folder, but hey, at least they work.

Just to be sure - I used this version of ResEdit
And thanks Karmakeld

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Postby Karmakeld » Oct 18 2017, 19:08

I'm sorry I don't recall what program I used, but glad you found a way. And like you, I extracted single files, but didn't think that was important.
I also found that H4Unpacker extracts as mp3 giving error.
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.

Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Postby GreatEmerald » Oct 19 2017, 19:49

They are not MP3s, nor are they WAVs. They are raw audio files. You need to import them into Audacity using Import → Raw Data... and then choosing Signed 16-bit PCM Big-Endian Mono 22050 Hz (these settings are almost literally the inverse of what Audacity guesses they should be).

MAN_ticore
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Postby MAN_ticore » Oct 23 2017, 14:26

Nice, it`s really worked. Thanks, GreatEmerald

Just a note for anyone who would do that in the future - maybe it`s just for me, but importing raw file worked properly only with those files with *.mp3 extension. When I tried to do that with *.wav (sounds that I unpacked one by one), I got earraped. It was just really loud and bass-boosted sound.

fightknightHERO
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Postby fightknightHERO » Oct 27 2017, 8:15

if you managed to extract the files would you mind sharing a link of em?
those SFX would make a fine SMS tune...

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Postby GreatEmerald » Oct 29 2017, 8:45

You can use H4Unpacker.

Finding some of the sounds may be a bit of a challenge, though: it looks like many of the spells had quite different names during development (and perhaps there were spells that never made it into the game altogether).

Return to “Heroes I-IV”