Server?

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Moderators, Celestial Heavens Staff

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Postby Muszka » Sep 7 2008, 13:52

Thanks Asheera. Actually I knew that. :)

@Kalah
I read trough there but didn't helped me. When yesterday I wanted to post a mushroom in Caladont I could not reduce it's size. Actually it was exactly 500(sq)px, but I didn't wanted to post such a large image exactly for the bandwith problems.
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Pol
Admin
Admin

Postby Pol » Sep 7 2008, 14:07

The forum will not reduce image for you, so here's not any other way than DIY. :D

And irfanview can resize image quite nicely. ;)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Postby Muszka » Sep 7 2008, 14:32

:tongue: yes, I can use CTRL+R....
(Thanks)

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Postby Milla aka. the Slayer » Sep 7 2008, 15:33

Muszka wrote:What does it matter if you open a new Hangman if it will be frequented in the same manner?

There won't be as many pages to load at least for a while.
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Postby Muszka » Sep 8 2008, 3:58

Hmm??
When one enters a forum, it loads all the pages? Isn't logical. I mean why would it work that way? It loads only the links, or am I mistaken?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Postby Pol » Sep 8 2008, 5:07

Not forum, just that thread.

When you're entering a long thread all pages are counted. Same and a bit more when you are adding a new message in.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Postby Muszka » Sep 8 2008, 5:17

Forum/Thread, the same now. It's early for me and I'm after work, but why is that so?
Shouldn't only load the links?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Postby Pol » Sep 8 2008, 5:21

It must be done for keeping order of the pages in the thread. Because you can delete last one or something in the middle or add one. So, it's always recalculated.

And certainly it's a bit stupid. ;)
"We made it!"

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Postby Muszka » Sep 8 2008, 5:31

Wouldn't be easier with a list(the programming type)-like solution where users have limited access? Or it cannot be done?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Postby Pol » Sep 8 2008, 17:01

Muszka wrote:Wouldn't be easier with a list(the programming type)-like solution where users have limited access? Or it cannot be done?

Hmm, I'm afraid no one of such solutions would work in this version of phpbb.

Often used long threads tend to eat more processor's time especially when heavenly contributed than others. I have no idea where could be the peak when you simply must close them. But they're slowing things down from the little bit to the "noticeable evidence".
"We made it!"

Kalah
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kalah » Sep 8 2008, 21:54

In response to this very thing, Milla has begun a closing spree. :-D

Hopefully it will have the desired effect.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Postby Milla aka. the Slayer » Sep 8 2008, 23:19

Yes, I've begone my killi...er..I mean closing spree :D Lots of fun.
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...

- Dragon Age Origins

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Postby darknessfood » Sep 8 2008, 23:27

Well, if it doens't work, you always have a cleaner forum, that's nice too :)!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Kalah
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kalah » Sep 8 2008, 23:29

And even if we don't, Milla's had her fun. :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Postby Milla aka. the Slayer » Sep 8 2008, 23:34

Thanks Darkness :)

- Dragon Age Origins

Pol
Admin
Admin

Postby Pol » Sep 9 2008, 5:12

Let define the word long, according the configuration of server, which we're using, it may vary from 200 pages to 600 and more.

Here will be the effect but I cannot dare say how much pronounced.

Yeah, such fun counts twice! :devious:
"We made it!"

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Postby Asheera » Sep 9 2008, 11:31

It's much faster now indeed :)
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Kalah
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kalah » Sep 9 2008, 19:51

Maybe we should do this more often. :D

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Postby Asheera » Sep 28 2008, 17:26

Ok now I want to report an annoying "bug", not having anything to do with the speed.

You see, when I click a post that is "new", it gets "read" (the icon gets darker). You know what I mean, right? ;)

A sub-forum also has a "new" icon if there's at least one thread "new" inside (with a new post since I last time logged in). The problem is that it is stuck in the "new" state, even if I visit all the "new" threads inside, and gets back to "old" state only after I log off or use the "Mark all forums read". Shouldn't it become "read" (the whole sub-forum) after I read all the "new" posts inside?

Well, I know it's not a big problem, but if it's easy to "fix" then I'd appreciate it. If it's hard to do then forget it, it's not worth the effort :D

Oh and I'm using dungeon theme... I'm not sure if the others have the same problem or if even is related to the theme in some way.
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Kalah
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kalah » Sep 28 2008, 17:33

We know this. According to the guys who know what they're talking about, it would require a lot of work to fix, so we've left it for the time being. Oh, btw, we have a seperate bug thread. :) The way you can get the "no new topics" symbol up (and this is annoying, I know), is to hit the "mark all topics read" button.

Return to “Campfire”