Your Home Theater

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Moderators, Celestial Heavens Staff

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Postby Angelspit » Nov 1 2007, 16:17

HD-DVD players for $100 this week-end in the US. Wow, just wow. Blu-ray might not win the war so easily after all.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Postby ThunderTitan » Nov 1 2007, 18:14

I don't know... sounds like desperation to me...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Postby asandir » Nov 2 2007, 0:10

I think it's a done deal, the only thing you hear about over here is Blu-ray, nothing about HD-DVD at all
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Postby asandir » Nov 5 2007, 2:20

told a lie, saw one HD-DVD player advertised opposed to 4 Bluray players :)

when my redundancy comes in I'm gonna be severely tempted to snaffle a 52" Sony Bravia X series LCD ..... such a sweet panel :D

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Postby Angelspit » Dec 4 2007, 19:10

HDMI cables for 0.30 $... where is the catch? On any other site I would look elsewhere, but that's Amazon. And the customer reviews are there to support the product.

At that price, I'll buy three just in case...

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Postby PhoenixReborn » Dec 4 2007, 19:25

Angelspit wrote:HDMI cables for 0.30 $... where is the catch?

The $80 shipping charge! Just kidding but it is $5 for shipping...

Multiple screens? Asandir's setup sounds like the deck of the USS enterprise.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Postby Angelspit » Dec 4 2007, 20:00

Shipping is not cheap at $8 (to Canada) but it's still way better than a $100 Monster cable. I'm so happy after finding that.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Postby Corribus » Dec 4 2007, 20:44

$100 monster cables are definitely not worth it. I got my HDMI cables at target for like 20-25 dollars, and my picture looks great. For that matter, I can't really tell the difference between the HDMI cables and component video cables, but then again when I got my HDTV it was such a step up from what I had before, maybe I'm just not inclined to notice the extra 0.1% improvement expensive cables will supposedly afford you. ;|
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Postby Omega_Destroyer » Dec 4 2007, 21:27

My folks picked up a 46" Panasonic Plasma because their old TV died on them after 19 years. After playing my 360 on that, I have almost no desire to play it on my puny 27" HD set.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Postby asandir » Dec 4 2007, 23:08

that's the killer innit? having to downgrade :)

I can't wait to upgrade to a full HD set and a ps3 .... but that's just gonna have to wait

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Postby Corribus » Feb 18 2008, 20:13

Here's a little tip for you:

My 1 year promotion deal at comcast just expired, so my monthly rate for cable just went up about 30%. I'm now paying an incredible 160 dollars per month, half of which is for the television component. Way too much, especially because I only watch about 3 shows on television (not including the NFL which is now over). I could always watch the show with the rabbit ears, but I've been pretty pampered by the HD picture and I don't know if I could go back.

Well, on a whim, I hooked my computer with wireless internet up to my TV just to see what streaming video woudl look like on my 50 inch HD set and surprisingly... it was pretty good! Except for the occasional jitter, the HD streaming at fox.com, abc.com and nbc.com looks almost like the HD signal coming out of my cable box! Given that you can watch any episode of Lost, Heroes, and House (my 3 shows) since their respective first seasons on demand, in HD, over the net, with almost no commercials, FOR FREE... what the heck do you need cable for??? If you have a computer with fast internet and an HD TV, I urge you to try this and save lots of money off your cable bill!

Here's the only disadvantages that I can see:

(1) My computer doesn't have an HDMI port, so I have to use an HD VGA cable. This cost me about 30 dollars for a decent one. The only downside to this setup is that VGA cables don't carry sound (HDMI would). So for now I'm using my PC's speakers. I intent to fix this but it will require another set of cables.

(2) While NBC.com has a true full screen mode, Fox.com and Abc.com don't. Their "Full Screen" is actually only about 80% of the screen, and you can see the windows menu bar and browser window in the background. This could be problematic if you have a plasma that is subject to burn-in, or are easily distracted by this stuff on the periphery.

(3) Most other HD channels (Food-Network, Discovery, etc.) don't have that many streaming video options.... yet. I will miss the Food network in HD, but it's not worth 80 bucks a month.

(4) Sports. Specifically football. But I'll cross that bridge in the fall. :)
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

jeff

Postby jeff » Feb 23 2008, 19:04

Well now that HD-DVD has thrown in the towel Blu Ray will not have any incentive to become reasonably priced. The cheapest one at BestBuy online was 399.99, 8| compared to 129 for the now dieing HD players.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Vlad976

Postby Vlad976 » Mar 2 2008, 3:21

Corribus wrote:I could always watch the show with the rabbit ears, but I've been pretty pampered by the HD picture and I don't know if I could go back.

Actually, most of the major networks (ABC, NBC, etc) already have an HD broadcast over the air. We just plugged in our new 42" LCD into the antenna cable, and found just about all the local (Chicago-area) channels broadcasting in HD. Well, not really found. We already knew they were broadcasting in HD...
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Postby Angelspit » Mar 3 2008, 20:25

Bought a Toshiba R-6 DVD Recorder to replace my old Panasonic before Christmas and I just can't believe the benefits progressive scan and 1080p upconversion provide. The results are very similar to true HD and I don't see myself going Blu-ray anytime soon (unless they keep decreasing prices).

The cheap HDMI cable I mentioned previously in this thread work just fine by the way.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Postby asandir » Mar 5 2008, 0:17

muuhahahhahahaa - that's for the HD-DVD's

Pol
Admin
Admin

Postby Pol » Mar 29 2008, 12:20

I just seen Asus Bamboo design. Men, that's something, this is how computers should look - outside.

PS The results of youtube Intel modding contest are also not bad.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Postby Angelspit » Dec 15 2008, 19:22

CNN Says PS3 Is "Dying On The Shelves"

It's funny that what gave Blu-ray en edge during its war against HD-DVD is now struggling because of an "indifference toward the Blu-ray format".
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Postby ThunderTitan » Dec 15 2008, 19:40

That's because the next big thing isn't HD discs but HD d/ls... at least that's the word on the street...

And it figures, because at least CDs and even DVD's where relatively cheap to buy and burn, while the HD ones still aren't and won't be for enough time for broadband to become even more available.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!

I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kalah
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kalah » Dec 15 2008, 19:42

My home theater has just been picked apart. I'm transporting the lot in the car when I leave, so...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Kalah
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kalah » Jan 19 2009, 20:16

So, this is my current home theater (check out the fireplace, guys). As you know, I set up my PC by dad's plasma screen. There are two home-made speakers up in the wall (up high left/right), and I've got my laptop to the right so that I can surf and watch TV at the same time, or play two games at once. The little table on the right is an excellent base for the mouse, and the keyboard goes on my lap. Of course the table also serves as an excellent snack table. :)

Image Image
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Return to “Campfire”