Knight of the Old Republic (1, 2, and the Old Republic MMO)

Because we play other games too.

Moderators: Moderators, Celestial Heavens Staff

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Postby darknessfood » Oct 22 2008, 19:33

Nah, that's not going to happen. There will still be loads of singleplayer games to be made. Like history told us, an MMO can only work if you have a good background, and a populair franchise...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Postby Ethric » Oct 22 2008, 20:06

Waitwaitwait... that was irony, right? ;)

MMO's are fairly limited in their design options, so I wouldn't worry about there being no single-player games left.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Postby ThunderTitan » Nov 2 2008, 13:56

Plus it's set 300 years after KotoR1&2...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Postby Angelspit » Dec 13 2008, 1:38

I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Postby ThunderTitan » Dec 13 2008, 9:13

it's still a MMO...

"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Postby Ethric » Aug 6 2011, 20:23

I've spent much of the day watching SW:TOR trailers and reading devblogs and articles and so forth, and I think it looks very promising indeed. Missions and storylines tailored to your specific class, a promise of ample catering to singleplayer adventures, your own ship and crew... It actually looks like KotOR III, but with added multiplayer. I like it! So much so that I preordered for early access and, uh, a colour stone to change saber/blaster bolt colour :D

- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Postby ThunderTitan » Sep 26 2011, 15:08

Well i have a friend that wants me to play with him when it comes out... so let me know if all those things you mentioned are actually at KotOR levels when you get it... maybe i'll play it then...

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Postby Ethric » Sep 26 2011, 15:44

I will keep you posted. It's announcd to be released just before christmas.

- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Postby ThunderTitan » Sep 26 2011, 17:59

Yeah, i saw...

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Postby Ethric » Nov 25 2011, 15:08

Now I have TOR installed (beta that is) and ready to test, but not allowed to start before tomorrow at 1700. But I'm going out to get hilariously drunk tomorrow evening... at least I got something to do sunday.

- Duke

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Postby Angelspit » Nov 27 2011, 3:48

I like it so far. The beta is very stable, lag is minimal, only a few camera issues you would expect even in a finished game. The pace is a bit slow and the quests are like everything you've seen before, but the game remains true to the source material. The introduction movies are simply breathtaking.

My main complaint is that the text is small and difficult to read, I couldn't find the option to change that. Also, movement is very stiff, you feel like you're driving a tank. I haven't been socializing so I have no idea what coop or pvp is like.

I don't see myself playing a MMO, but TOR gives us an idea of what KOTOR3 could have been like... :(

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Postby Ethric » Nov 29 2011, 15:40

Played the beta a couple days now, and agree with everything AS said, expect I'm not as adversed to online games, so I'll definitively be playing it when it comes it.

I had maybe 3 disconnects in something like 15-20 hrs. of playing, and one of them was when they tested ingame support, with everyone sending queries at the same time, and one CTD.

Game design-wise it does nothing new, but it does the "old" thoroughly. I only played to lvl 18 as a Bounty Hunter, but I understand each class has it's own story and quest all the way to lvl 50, with sidequests, group content, pvp and the usual MMO-stuff for everyone alongside. It seems to be leaning more towards soloing than most MMO's, something I like. "Duuh, but why play an MMO then", I hear you gibber unintelligently. Well, because it it can be fun to have the option to play with others, but usually I prefer not to, and there are usually other ways to interact with other people than just grouping with them for raids and such. Like stabbing them in the back and steal their stuff (which I have some experience with from EVE).

Disappointmens:
- Dated graphics.
- Really only 4 classes when all's said and done: each side, Empire and Republic, gets 4 base classes each, but those 4 x 2 are paired up, so even though they are called something else on the other side and the abilites seem different, they do the exact same thing. Makes balancing the sides easier I suppose, but it seems mostly lazy to me. Then each class gets to choose one of two adv. classes, but it's still the same class IMO.

Still, I had fun playing a Bounty Hunter, with a pew-pew here, a BOOM-BOOM there, pew here, BOOM there... serious light- and pyro show.

- Duke

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Postby Angelspit » Dec 1 2011, 17:14

I tried to log on again on Monday and I was told the testing week-end was over. I did a 20 Gig download for a single playing session. :D I hope I won't end up busting my monthly bandwidth cap...

I might give it another shot when it comes out, if the pricing is realistic.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Postby ThunderTitan » Dec 3 2011, 20:33

Angelspit wrote: I hope I won't end up busting my monthly bandwidth cap...

Ha, westerners and their crazy bandwith capping....

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Postby Ethric » Dec 3 2011, 21:05

Make that "americans" and we have a deal. "Bandwith cap", how nineties is that...

- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Postby ThunderTitan » Dec 3 2011, 21:07

I heard some western european countries have it too... but you guys are northern european...

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”