Fallout

Because we play other games too.

Moderators: Moderators, Celestial Heavens Staff

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Postby ThunderTitan » May 4 2009, 6:55

i think you're just confusing them with nazis...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Postby Humakt » May 25 2009, 22:27

Ethric wrote:And while the good doctor James wanted free pure water for all, the Enclave/col. Autumn wanted to control the purifier to control the people. That too makes sense, but refusing to hand it over at all doesn't make too much sense. I mean, pure water for those who obeyed the enclave should be better than no pure water at all. Could always rebell afterwards. I guess daddy doc wasn't as pure and noble afterall: if he can't get the glory from making the purifier, nobody will...

He was threatened for his life. Do you honestly believe three armed people, who also shoot one of your collegues, would have any good intentions? It is just that enclaves brute force tactics failed here.

Also, commenting on that forum post you referenced here: Humans are 70-80% water. Unpure water is one of the biggest sources (if not the biggest) of diseases everywhere. Having pure water for everyone (even in small area) is grandeus and very noble cause. It definitely beats your standard beat evil villain/society goal. Post was good read though.

Yes, Fallout 3 plot is flawed in some spots, but if you are willing to think outside your little box, have imagination and do not except that everything will be explained to you, the plot in general does make some sense.

The thing at the very end was the absolute worst IMO: you can't get any of the radiation-immune henchmen available to turn on the purifier. I had the big mutant guy with me, and him telling me that dying in there was my destiny when I ask him to do something that'd take him 5 seconds and with no danger to him whatsoever proves beyond doubt that those who wrote the main plot haven't the slightest idea what Fallout is all about. Most of the side quests are way better written.

... I mean, destiny, for crying out loud! That's for games like knights of the old republic or neverwinter nights.

Obviously the mutant wasn't quite right in the head having lived all his life as a super mutants' labrat, only source of knowledge being his computer. Ending did felt rather forced though and would have been leaps better if it hadn't ended at all.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Postby Ethric » May 26 2009, 14:56

Humakt wrote:Yes, Fallout 3 plot is flawed in some spots, but if you are willing to think outside your little box, have imagination and do not except that everything will be explained to you, the plot in general does make some sense.

Everything can make sense if you are willing to expand the box indefinitely. From my box, the main plot is not at all well written, and I'm not the only one who thinks so, by far. If the plot appears confusing, unmotivated and senseless to a large number of those who played the game, the fault is not with us for not using our imaginations enough. They should have spent more time presenting the plot and the motivations of the people appearing in it, OR allowed the player greater control of what actually happens.

Curiously, the side quests are quite a bit better. Though since they are obviously much shorter, that is perhaps not so odd, it might be easier to stay focused and deliver a short story than a longer one.

But no matter what, there's no excuse for disallowing you to kill children, and then design a big cave full of annoying punks that you have to go through to continue the plot. That's just bad design, through and through. If it was really necessary to censor the game regarding kids, they should have tried to tone it down as much as possible, not flaunt it.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Postby ThunderTitan » May 27 2009, 7:18

It's cute how people try to apply logic to human beings...

"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Postby arturchix » May 27 2009, 10:33

Ethric wrote:From my box, the main plot is not at all well written, and I'm not the only one who thinks so, by far. If the plot appears confusing, unmotivated and senseless to a large number of those who played the game, the fault is not with us for not using our imaginations enough. They should have spent more time presenting the plot and the motivations of the people appearing in it, OR allowed the player greater control of what actually happens.

Bethesda probably designed the game and shortly before it went gold realized that the game needs some kind of a story. Seriously, guys, the main quest is a joke. But I agree about the side quests - that's what makes the game to shine and can entertain to a certain extent. Still, it doesn't look like USA in apocalyptic era but rather a circus where the main entertainers are super mutants, giant robots, aliens, computer simulation with Chinese invasion and stuff.

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Postby Talin_Trollbane » May 27 2009, 22:38

Yes, Fallout 3 plot is flawed in some spots

some spots? hohohohohohoh god.

:disagree:
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Postby Humakt » May 28 2009, 5:57

Ethric wrote:From my box, the main plot is not at all well written, and I'm not the only one who thinks so, by far. If the plot appears confusing, unmotivated and senseless to a large number of those who played the game, the fault is not with us for not using our imaginations enough.

And there are many who also actually enjoyed the main story, including many of the reviewers. I was quite contempt at it until the ending (despite the plotholes), which felt rushed. Liam Neeson as dad's voice actor was spot on. In fact, during first playthrough I almost entirely focused on the mainplot and left a lot unexplored. And looks like that is what many of the naysayers also did, so it can't be that bad.
Thundermaps

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Postby Ethric » May 29 2009, 20:30

The main plot is the main plot, it isn't strange that many played through it when they first played the game. And you have to play through it to be able to comment fully on it, obviously. I've read many comments to the effect of "I played through the main plot once just to get it over with and then started focusing on the rest of the game." Then there's morbid curiosity; it's bad but you can't look away ;)

Liam Neeson is a good choice, but that doesn't save the plot from being bad. And once again they focus on one star instead of focusing on quality on all the voice acting. Would have been better with a larger cast of talented unknown (and presumeably cheaper) actors.

That said, I am a naysayer by nature, and people with a more generous/positive attitude (towards Bethsoft...?) might be more favourably inclined.

- Duke

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Postby Talin_Trollbane » May 30 2009, 12:01

Humakt wrote:
Ethric wrote:From my box, the main plot is not at all well written, and I'm not the only one who thinks so, by far. If the plot appears confusing, unmotivated and senseless to a large number of those who played the game, the fault is not with us for not using our imaginations enough.

And there are many who also actually enjoyed the main story, including many of the reviewers. I was quite contempt at it until the ending (despite the plotholes), which felt rushed. Liam Neeson as dad's voice actor was spot on. In fact, during first playthrough I almost entirely focused on the mainplot and left a lot unexplored. And looks like that is what many of the naysayers also did, so it can't be that bad.

actually, i did playtrough it, and was kinda dumbfounded when it ended just like that, in the middle of the action.

and the ending slideshow didnt exactly live up to the earlier Fallouts level.

not even close except that it is a slideshow, they simply turned a top-down RPG into a FPS/lite RPG with an auto-hit system (VATS).

wheres the turnbase?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Postby ThunderTitan » May 30 2009, 17:08

Talin_Trollbane wrote:
Yes, Fallout 3 plot is flawed in some spots

some spots? hohohohohohoh god.

:disagree:

That statement is tehnically corect... :devious:

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Postby Humakt » May 30 2009, 19:02

Has anyone tried Operation Anchorage?

Talin_Trollbane wrote:not even close except that it is a slideshow, they simply turned a top-down RPG into a FPS/lite RPG with an auto-hit system (VATS).

wheres the turnbase?

Who needs a turnbase to control one character besides simian twins with toes in place of fingers?
Thundermaps

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Postby arturchix » May 30 2009, 21:16

Humakt wrote:Has anyone tried Operation Anchorage?

I found it very boring and straightforward - almost no free roaming is possible as the whole map felt like a huge tunnel. On the bright side - the quest reward is a nice armor and gauss rifle unfortunately which has to be reloaded after each shot thus making it hardly effective. And it doesn't work properly in VATS.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Postby Ethric » Apr 2 2010, 13:52

- Duke

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Postby Talin_Trollbane » Apr 2 2010, 20:56

Humakt wrote:Has anyone tried Operation Anchorage?

Talin_Trollbane wrote:not even close except that it is a slideshow, they simply turned a top-down RPG into a FPS/lite RPG with an auto-hit system (VATS).

wheres the turnbase?

Who needs a turnbase to control one character besides simian twins with toes in place of fingers?

i hope you are aware that Fallout used to be party based?

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Postby Humakt » Apr 3 2010, 13:13

Talin_Trollbane wrote:
i hope you are aware that Fallout used to be party based?

Yes. That doesn't mean you carry turn-based system on FPS.
Thundermaps

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Postby Talin_Trollbane » Apr 3 2010, 13:24

it means that you dont make it FPS at all.

but i digress, Fallout ends with Fallout 2 for me (maybe even Tactics can be counted in too) and this Fallout 3 is just some clone job from Bethesda, may golden rivers forever flow on their appearances.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Postby Marzhin » Apr 3 2010, 16:56

Talin_Trollbane wrote:may golden rivers forever flow on their appearances.

That made me laugh :D

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Postby Talin_Trollbane » Apr 3 2010, 18:37

im kinda sad to say it to, but this modern next-gen Bethesda isnt the same company i used to like.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Postby Marzhin » Apr 3 2010, 19:30

I was not a big fan of the gameplay of Fallout 3 (yet I found it better than the horrible Oblivion), but what bothered me the most was the horrible writing and insipid dialogues. So I'm curious to see what will be the result of the same gameplay in the hands of the skilled writers of Obsidian Entertainment (I'm talking about the upcoming Fallout New Vegas).

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Postby TheUndeadKing » Apr 3 2010, 21:08

Talin_Trollbane wrote:im kinda sad to say it to, but this modern next-gen Bethesda isnt the same company i used to like.

Haha, did you honestly expect them to develop "a turn-based, top-down Fallout" for the next-gen consoles? :D
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”