GrayFace MM6 Patch v2.4 [Sep 17, 2019]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Moderator: Moderators

Kinox
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: GrayFace MM6 Patch v2.4 [Sep 17, 2019]

Postby Kinox » Sep 19 2019, 3:43

Ok. So actually I've just remembered a bug in MM6 which I experienced maybe this year. That I intended to report, but have totally forgotten. So here it is.

I guess most experienced players of the triad (MM6, MM7, MM8) already know that Town Portal functions differently, especially MM6 from MM7/MM8.

The problem is that, in MM6, the Town Portal Spell precisely casted at Basic/Expert Levels in Water Magic (therefore, this excludes the use of Town Portal from Gate Master Hirelings, who use it at Master Level in Water Magic, and I SUPPOSE, also excludes the use of Scrolls of Town Portal), which doesn't let you open the World Map from the Spell, redirects you NOT to the last "Town Portal functional Main Fountain" you've drunk from, but to the… LAST BUILDING [literally: ANY HOUSE :D, including Houses, Shops, Banks, Guilds, etc.; WHICH BIZARRELY EXCLUDES ENTERING/VISITING DUNGEON MAPS in that MAP REGION!!!) YOU'VE VISITED IN THAT MAP REGION you'll be redirected for. So, apparently, it has been having NOTHING TO DO WITH THE "MAIN FOUNTAIN"; which is hilarious of course. If it used, say, the last Main Fountain you've drunk from (which resonates with MM7 and MM8 way of "activating" the Town Region Map for Town Portal Spell), this could be and interesting Town Portal Spell feature for Basic/Expert Levels in Water Magic in general; same if it was the last "Town Portal Map Region" you have visited (although this would be a bit more limiting for curious and/or investigative players). But since it's probably bugged, it's even painful to have to avoid visiting a Shop, in order "not to loose the Town Portal 'link' to that other place you're wishing to return at some point". lol

I'm not sure if there is even more things related to this Town Portal bug; as I remember being surprised more than once at how strange and hard-to-understand this thing is/was.

Thanks.
Last edited by Kinox on Sep 19 2019, 3:52, edited 5 times in total.

GrayFace
Dragon
Dragon

Postby GrayFace » Sep 19 2019, 15:12

Kinox wrote:LAST BUILDING

Yes, a weird behavior. They should have added code to remember TP location to map loading instead.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Xfing
Raider
Raider

Postby Xfing » Sep 22 2019, 12:41

BTW, is there a planned hi-res interface for MM6 like the very pretty and tasteful ones you've made for MM7 and MM8?

raekuul
Peasant
Peasant

Postby raekuul » Sep 22 2019, 12:46

We have that for 7 and 8 because they support hardware rendering. 6 does not, which means it would take a lot more work to get such a hi-res interface.
You need to install the base mod first, and then install the latest GrayFace patch on top of that.

Xfing
Raider
Raider

Postby Xfing » Sep 22 2019, 12:51

raekuul wrote:We have that for 7 and 8 because they support hardware rendering. 6 does not, which means it would take a lot more work to get such a hi-res interface.

Ahhhh ok, bit of a shame. Guess one could be more easily made for the Merge though, as that game is based on the newer engine with hardware acceleration support.

Anerag
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Postby Anerag » Oct 9 2019, 19:11

Is there a way to disable arrow key controls in the spellbook? Trying to cast spells while running around is impossible, I end up cycling to some other spell with up/down then casting it with left/right by accident.

Hobbun
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Postby Hobbun » Oct 16 2019, 14:40

I just downloaded and installed MM6 via GOG (the MM I-VI pack, if that makes a difference) and wanted to implement this patch.

I believe the GOG version of MM6 already comes with MOK, but the patch notes indicate that the Grayface patch (2.4) the MOK patch comes with it.

Is it ok to install Grayface’s patch with my GOG copy, even though both have MOK’s patch?

Figo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Postby Figo » Oct 16 2019, 19:56

Hobbun wrote:I just downloaded and installed MM6 via GOG (the MM I-VI pack, if that makes a difference) and wanted to implement this patch.
I believe the GOG version of MM6 already comes with MOK, but the patch notes indicate that the Grayface patch (2.4) the MOK patch comes with it.
Is it ok to install Grayface’s patch with my GOG copy, even though both have MOK’s patch?

As far as I remember there shouldn't be any problems with the newest patch installation on clean GOG version. So go ahead :)

Return to “Might and Magic”