- by Pol
The previous weeks were in sign of Black Friday and we are just continue strictly toward the Christmas. This means in general lots of discounts and people getting presents but lower activity from ' mod/game makers'.
VCMI - Mod Design Team
One of major VCMI features is, that is moddable. The full list of mods in all states of completeness is available here. Recently there were some pretty drafts from Mod Design Team. These were Sirena, Werewolf and Oasis, see the pics below.
Heroes 7 - The Umbramancer Mod
is getting a major feature, that's being Atmos - The Weather System, with simple logic that if there is some weather before the battle, sure it will continue in the battle. Another positive effect is that it will probably shorter time of battles, as effects are intensified with each round. The short table to sum it up is available here.
To my knowledge there's not a public vesion yet, so all of the planned features are demonstrated in youtube videos.
Heroes 7 - Balance Mod
There's a silence regarding future of Might&Magic brand. However they expressed their meaning about free content and suprisingly they are all for it. Just for some games, they started it up. The whole article is available at gamesindustry.biz So next time, we may receive bonus maps and artifacts for free, same for everyone? Time returns on the beginning, new cycle begun. What was normal before, just again is. Marked as a new concept.
We may guess that attempts from Vivendi to hostile takeover of Ubisoft continue, as more and more defensive articles from Ubisoft continue to appear. Basically pointing out that if Vivendi would be in charge, the Ubisoft will become dumbed company. What to say, they are likely right. See this one for example.
Fearsome, we in M&M games don't have such monsters as "PR manager, Chairman or Stockholder", perhaps they should be added to the completely new House of Politics, with town screen of nice French Chateau. Or just as a dwelling, if you win them over!
|Comments (15)||Add comment|
- by Pol
H2: Project Ironfist got a new coat and you can admire it on http://ironfi.st/ pages. The pages are not complete at this stage but all basic stuff has been already put in place. Sure that there are few more pics of "Big Balrog With Gun". Seeing cards, it's not certain what will be final name for this mighty cyber beast, it looks like that one of possible names with which it could ends, could be simply BB with Gun.
Ubisoft is playing Hide & Seek of Might & Magic, during last two weeks, some of official pages disapperead, re-appeared, moved or end in error, to pop up again later. Official pages https://mmh7.ubi.com/en/blog been, has been not, get Cabir error and then returned today. Similarly http://might-and-magic.ubi.com/universe/en-gb/home/ was and is gone, seemingly forever. However the shop and forums remains untouched.
Whereas this is good, bad or meaning something we cannot judge. Although if you like conspirational teories it may be connected with question, which Kalah asked some time ago and posted in previous article. But rather they just move the content to different servers, used for games out of development cycle. Truth is bland usually.
And as a last get ready for Black Friday, which is the next one!
- by Kalah
Before the end of October, I dispatched two questions to several Ubisoft PR representatives, hoping for an official statement:
- Since the development of the latest game in the franchise (Heroes VII) has now stopped, we are wondering: are there any plans for continuing the franchise with other games?
- There are rumours going around but no official statement has been released yet: can you confirm or deny that Erwan le Breton's team has been disbanded?
Can you guess whether we got a clear message or an ambiguous reply? Well, after hearing back from them I sent a quick follow-up, but haven't heard anything more and I think three weeks is enough time to wait. Here is the official reply:
"After more than four years of collaboration on Might and Magic projects, Ubisoft's partnership with Limbic Entertainment has come to an end. As a result, no further updates are planned for these projects or the related websites. Ubisoft wants to thank both Limbic and the community for their support and dedication over the past four years."
As you can see, the answer says that nothing new is planned, but it doesn't specifically say that there will be nothing more of the M&M franchise - which is what I'd like to know. It just says that there are no plans (not that there never will be any) and that Limbic are no longer connected with it. I guess it doesn't sound good, but we can't say anything definitive.
In case you're wondering about the second question, I did get a reply from a different PR rep but I'm not sure she realized the irony: she said she was going to forward my questions to the Might & Magic team. If the team has been disbanded, I wonder who she thinks is checking the e-mails?
|Comments (10)||Add comment|
- by Pol
New version of VCMI mod was released. They are coming closer and closer to "final release", now just a tiny step before, with version 0.99. See full annoucenment on vcmi.eu.
If you like HoMM3 you shouldn't miss an oportunity to try this out.
Humble Bundle is still running a bundle with remastered Grim Fandago & Day of the Tentacle. You may decide if you join 99807 people, who already have it.
Whereas Ubisoft is giving for free Beyond Good & Evil, in its 30yrs anniversary club.
|Comments (3)||Add comment|
- by Kalah
In light of recent events here at Celestial Heavens, we would like to remind you all to change your passwords, both for this site and others you may frequent. I'm sure you're aware of the general advice when it comes to passwords: use many letters, numbers and special signs, making sure that the password is not easily guessed by people or bots. A good tip, in fact, is to have extremely difficult passwords, and different ones for every site you visit. To remember them, write them down in a small book or leaflet and put that on your shelf. The thing is, these days it is much more likely that your passwords will be stolen through digital means such as hacking; burglars are unlikely to rummage through your house looking for that little book with passwords. If they do break in, they're going for phones, tablets, jewelry and such things.
|Comments (3)||Add comment|
- by Pol
If you are a long time fan of Heroes II. there's high chance that you already heard about it, if not check it now.
Project Ironfist adds new monsters, maps and spells to Heroes II. with help of scripting. Together with a new campaign(s). It all started by reverse-engineering the game in August 2010 by Darmani, who now asked me to help him to allure more people in his team. The mod is now in version 1.2.1 and you need windows version of the game to playing it.
Just before that I recommend you to see following videos, as it's said that one picture is for thousand words, so one video must be, ..even better. Below is link to campaign trailer "Last Stand" and modding tutorials: Introduction, Scripting, Adding New Creatures and Modding the Code.
Who is needed? Let's hear:
"We’re on the prowl for new programmers and web-designers, so if you are one or know anyone with the awesome skill to join our super ninja programming team – please send us a shout. :-)
We’re now looking for the following roles:
- Graphics Designer (both 2D and 3D) - if you can turn 4 colors into a lush forest - then you are the one we’re looking for - Join our elite team to be a crucial part of the development of this awesome adventure!
- Code Ninja - if you have the talent and speed to dive into a codebase and build new features, or even reverse-engineer old ones, come join our elite group of developers and help shape this awesome Cyborg campaign! Also, did I mention the technology that makes our modding possible is seriously impressive (developed by an MIT computer scientist).
- Sound Designer - if you are able to manipulate sounds so well that you’ll be able to re-make retro music in a cool new campaign bringing sci-fi and fantasy into a unique clash - come join us!!
- Concept Artist - if you a have a passion for both Sci-fi and Fantasy, and you think you can bring to life the awesome characters and environments we’ve created - come test your skills with us!!
Join us in this amazing campaign to breath life into this awesome sci-fi fantasy game!!!
The Project Ironfist topic in our forums is here, where you may follow its regular updates.
Did I mentioned cyborgs? No? Huge mistake, they are there too!
|Comments (20)||Add comment|
- by Kalah
Hello everyone! News from iLiVeInAbOx05:
A new H4MG build is ready for download. Go here to get it! If you haven't tried it out yet, read the instructions, otherwise just scroll to the bottom of the page and download it
The AI Enhancing portion of the H4MG has come far enough along that it’s ready to be released. Additional AI enhancing events and features will continue to be developed and released (discussed in this thread.)
Here is a video with a demonstration and info:
Here is a what can be done with the AI panel:
- Add a number of AI enhancing events at the push of a button.
- Clear all AI enhancing events at the push of a button.
- Edit the AI enhancing events while being able to restore the events to their defaults.
Planned features for the AI panel:
- Save / load your AI profile (the settings you prefer for AI enhancements).
Here is a list of events / scripts implemented followed by those still on the way:
- Show entire map for AI
- Make every player "vital" under AI properties
- Events to give gold / resources to AI (including recurring increases)
- Increase starting level of AI heroes
- Reduce neutrals on encounter for AI (fewer AI losses while still gaining normal experience)
- Increased AI movement
- Increased AI experience
- Increase dwelling populations for AI towns
- Starting skills for new AI heroes. (Need suggestions for skill combinations)
- AI artifact sorting (PatFX working on this)
- AI hero stat buffs
- Balancing mechanism for neutral armies for each difficulty level
- Make the AI options tunable for difficulty. The easiest way to do this would be to have a selectable percentage reduction applied for each difficulty level under champion.
- Control neutrals vs. an opponent.
This release also includes a feature to copy/paste or move a selected area of a map. Note: move will only work on the same map and level. See the video below for a demonstration/explanation!
|Comments (12)||Add comment|
- by Kalah
As Heroes VII development is officially ended and Limbic's contract with Ubisoft expired, we ask: what's next? There are also rumours going around that Erwan le Breton's "M&M team" has been disbanded. The way we see it, there are three general options:
- Ubisoft continue to develop the franchise, publishing games like M&M 11 and another Heroes title, possibly with Erwan le Breton's team, possibly with Limbic as developers, possibly somebody else. I'm honestly not sure if this is the preferred option; with Ubisoft's financial muscle behind the franchise, at least we are assured a continuation. However, I think we can all agree that many of the choices made in recent years have not been good ones and that changes would have to be made.
- Ubisoft sells the franchise to another game producer. Given that fans have been unhappy with several of Ubisoft's strategies, some have argued that it would be better if the whole thing was handed over to somebody else. The hope, then, is that the new producers are more dedicated to the wellness of the franchise and develop games of which the fans approve. This, however, is far from guaranteed. Changing producers could make things even worse.
- The franchise is mothballed. No new Might & Magic or Heroes games are made and the world moves on to other things. Just like great games of the past can now be found on abandonia.com or GOG, some of the more well-made games in the series may still be played years or even decades from now. Fans may start to produce high-quality mods and maps, keeping the show somewhat alive, but as time passes by, most of them will move on. This will effectively mean the end, albeit a drawn-out one. As a good friend of mine put it, however: perhaps it is time.
|Comments (64)||Add comment|
- by Pol
Old proverb says that "all good things come to an end". I would add that unfinished as well. Today Ubisoft offically announced, that hotfix 2.2.1 released yesterday was the last one and farewell.
Long suffering is gone, this was, let to say, expected outcome.
We may certainly speculate, what, where and why that happened. But let admit that for more than a half year Ubisoft communication with a fans was sporadic at best. Only the die hard fans from Limbic, like Hero or Oakwarrior, and of course omni-presented deity Ubi-Moshi were here.
The future is in the mods and modders, which could do, especially with help of ex-developers, a miracles.
|Comments (23)||Add comment|